Monday, January 13, 2014

Cheeseburger in paradise....

I think that the hardest part of living a healthy lifestyle is re-learning to eat.  I don’t mean chewing and swallowing.  I mean what to eat.  I love food!  I mean, let’s face it, it is very evident in how I look.  I grew up being able to eat chips, chocolate and junk without worry until I was 15 or 16.  By then, you have pretty much established your eating habits.
When I was a 20 something, (really NOT THAT long ago….*ahem*) as long as I worked out, I could pretty much eat whatever.  I had to make sure my “out-go” was more that my “in-take”.   I would grab a chocolate shake on the way to the gym, and then do 1 hr of cardio and a super hard hour long weight training session.  After I hit my 30’s…. OY VEY!!!!!!
When Steven deployed in 2010/11 I really just tried working out super hard.  When that only caused me to stay at the same size/weight or gain, I decided I needed to reevaluate my eating habits.  Once I started keeping a food journal I did NOT like what I was seeing about myself!  Once I started honestly counting calories I couldn’t believe the junk I was putting in my body!
Then I started thinking about the reasons I eat.  I often said I was hungry, but was I hungry?  Did I just want to put food in my mouth to satisfy a longing for the taste?  When I was mad?  EAT!  Sad? EAT!  Tired?  EAT! You get the idea. I thought, “What if I replaced my “cravings” and binge eating with things of God?  Hear me out.  I’m not talking about JUST scripture! 
What if I did more to fulfill my role as mom and wife?  What if I stepped up my effort at serving others?  What if when I wanted to eat a donut because I had a bad day, I write a note to a friend who is going through a hard time?  What if, when I am at my lowest, I talk to my creator and listen to His Word?   THIS is where I am now. 
For me, the hardest part of living a healthy lifestyle is learning how to feed my body the things it needs instead of feeding my face with what I WANT.  Soon those needs do become your wants, as well.  Well, let’s be honest!  I will NEVER want a salad instead of a brownie!  While an occasional brownie is probably ok, I start wanting to give my physical body the things it craves (fruits, veggies, etc.).  In turn I learn to feed my spiritual and mental body the things it craves (God’s Word, service, encouragement).  You get the idea!
I challenge you, and myself, too rethink those m&m’s (though they are SUPER tasty!!!!) and send someone a note of encouragement.  Find some encouraging words in Psalms!  That is where I am headed!


2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! A note to a friend instead of a brownie or chips or a third glass of wine. I think I might have to try that too. :)

    ReplyDelete